Martin W. Taylor focuses his practice on representing financial institutions, borrowers, principals, guarantors and other parties in all aspects of financing, including new financings, modifications, out-of-court workouts, restructures, bankruptcies, liquidations, foreclosures and the enforcement of (or as applicable, the defense against) pre-judgment and post-judgment rights and remedies with respect to a wide variety of secured and unsecured financial obligations.
Marty’s financial institutions practice focuses on all aspects of finance, with an emphasis on real estate secured financing, including new financings, modifications, out-of-court workouts, restructures, bankruptcies, liquidations, foreclosures, note sales, deed of trust rights and interests, subordination of deeds of trust and OREO sales.
Marty has been practicing for over twenty years, representing financial institutions for much of that time throughout the up and down real estate finance markets. That experience has provided Marty with substantial experience, and in-depth knowledge and understanding, with respect to both the technical aspects and practical applications of structuring, negotiating, documenting and closing complex real estate financing transactions, as well as with respect to the various rights, remedies and defenses of the parties involved in a failed financing transaction.
Marty has substantial experience with respect to the financing of hotels, resort properties, office buildings, retail centers, industrial parks, master planned communities, condominium projects (both commercial and residential), single family residential developments and mixed use projects.
This experience includes both loan origination, syndication and participation as well as distressed debt work, including, workouts, restructures, exercise of lender rights and remedies and bankruptcy.
Marty’s experience includes representing agents, participants, senior lenders, mezzanine lenders, junior lenders, and, from time to time, borrowers, principals and guarantors.
Although it would be impractical to list all of the financial transactions for which Marty has been the lead attorney below is a short, representative list of the matters on which Marty has worked as lead counsel.
Representative Matters :
- Represented major national bank as agent and lead lender on a syndicated $147 million senior secured construction facility for the construction of 170-key Ritz Carlton hotel and 23 branded whole ownership residences.
- Represented major national bank as agent on a syndicated $55 million non-revolving construction loan facility, with an accordion feature, relating to the construction of a branded resort hotel property.
- Represented major national bank as agent on a syndicated $121 million construction loan for resort area, mixed use project, including residential units and commercial space.
- Represented Borrower in connection with senior construction financing for $180 million and mezzanine financing of $38.5 million in connection with acquisition, development and construction of a 5 star hotel resort property.
- Represented agent and lender in connection with a $360 million revolving line of credit for the acquisition and development of a master planned community.
- Represented national bank on a $42 million facility which included a revolving line of credit sub-facility, a term loan sub-facility and a letter of credit sub-facility.
- Represented Borrower on an $18.5 million senior loan facility and a $3.6 million mezzanine loan for the acquisition of two office buildings in Arizona.
- Represented major national bank in connection with a $50 million multifamily housing construction project.
- Represented administrative agent in connection with a secured corporate borrowing base facility for a national home builder.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., with great distinction, Order of the Coif, 1990
- California State University, B.A., 1987
BAR ADMISSIONS : California
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Rate : $$$