Mary M. Balaster concentrates her practice in health and safety-related enforcement matters, with a focus in crisis management matters involving spills, toxic releases and other workplace incidents. She counsels clients In connection with major industrial accidents, crisis response, process safety incidents and workplace fatalities.
In addition, she works extensively with technical experts and auditors to provide compliance advice regarding existing or developing safety programs at complex facilities. Mary is also experienced in a broad range of environmental matters, including climate change, water quality, and waste permitting and remediation issues.
Prior to joining Reed Smith, Mary worked as an environmental engineer for more than 10 years in both upstream and downstream business units for a multinational energy company, where she provided compliance support and advocacy for a variety of environmental program areas.
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D.
- Rice University, M.S.
- Rice University, B.A.
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : Texas
Professional Affiliations :
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Association of Women Attorneys Foundation, Trustee
- Galveston Bay Foundation, Circle of Friends
- Representation of a Fortune 100 chemical manufacturer following multiple fatality incidents, including before the CSB, EPA, OSHA, and other state and local agencies.
- Representation of numerous chemical manufacturers and refiners in civil enforcement actions by federal and state environmental and occupational, safety and health agencies, including during settlement negotiations and litigation.
- Representation of energy companies and manufacturers in agency investigations following major incidents.
- Representation of an international petrochemical company, providing general environmental, health and safety advice on secondment.
- Representation of energy companies in connection with environmental criminal investigations.
Rate : $$$