Mary E. Deweese is an education-focused attorney who is passionate about helping organizations to serve students and advance their missions. With a master’s in education, Mary taught elementary school for two years in Washington, DC.
She left the classroom to go to law school, but continued to see education as a great equalizer that expands students’ opportunities. She chose to pursue a legal career working with colleges, universities and schools to help ensure access to learning.
Today, Mary represents educational institutions in state and federal litigation and administrative proceedings; conducts investigations; and provides counsel on administration, policies, student matters and employment issues.
She previously served as a law fellow at the National Education Association, where she gained a close perspective on the goals and priorities of in-house counsel.
What she loves most about her work is creating innovative strategies for clients: Mary sees the law and legal cases as puzzles, and she excels at assembling the pieces to find best solutions. Her aim is to solve problems that would otherwise get in the way of clients’ educational mission.
- Served as lead associate on several lawsuits against school clients involving sexual abuse allegations. Drafted motions to dismiss and objections to Rule 191(b) discovery.
- Successfully presented oral argument on motion to dismiss in claim arising from employee termination.
- Interviewed current and former employees and board members for independent investigation into sexual harassment complaints at non-profit youth organization. Reviewed and analyzed records. Co-authored investigative report.
- Served as lead associate in special education due process hearing. Conducted witness preparation and prepared evidence binders. Direct- and cross-examined witnesses at hearing.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
- M.Ed., Lesley University
- B.A., University of Notre Dame
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Professional Associations and Memberships :
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Council of School Attorneys
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- National Council of School Attorneys
Rate : $$$