Mary Elizabeth Sherwin is a member in the firm’s Health Care Group. She chairs the firm’s Diversity Committee and serves on the firm’s Recruiting Committee. Her practice includes insurance defense of personal injury matters in the health care context ranging from the representation of health systems and hospitals to practices and individual healthcare providers.
In addition to civil litigation, she also defends health care providers in matters before the Virginia Department of Health Professions to include the respective licensing boards. Mary Beth routinely advises her health care clients on risk management and medical staff issues.
She also provides guidance on health care decision-making matters to include guardianship/conservatorship and medical treatment proceedings.
- Columbia University; Paris France, 1996
- Wellesley College; A.B., cum laude, 1997
- College of William & Mary School of Law; J.D., 2000
- Virginia Bar Association; Healthcare and Litigation Sections
- Norfolk-Portsmouth Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Norfolk Blocker YMCA; Board of Directors
- Counsels health systems, hospitals, nursing homes, physicians and other health care professionals on risk management issues, and handles guardianship and medical treatment proceedings
- Defends health care professionals when their depositions are requested as treating providers
- Represents health care professionals before health regulatory boards, including the Virginia Board of Medicine and the Virginia Board of Nursing – most recently defended physician who was fully exonerated by Board despite receiving letter of reprimand from hospital for endangering resident
- Handles the Medical Malpractice Team’s cases involving female health care professionals
Rate : $$$