Mary Ann Jackson, shareholder in the Memphis office, serves as chair for the Corporate Finance and Securities Group. Ms. Jackson assists clients in achieving their business objectives through financings, mergers and acquisitions, tax planning, contract review and general counseling.
In particular, she has extensive experience in forming and structuring business organizations, such as limited liability companies, partnerships and joint ventures, as well as advising clients regarding private securities offerings, shareholder agreements, employment agreements, venture capital fund formation, real estate and other fund formation, confidentiality agreements and general business contracts.
Ms. Jackson also has extensive experience representing clients in acquiring, selling and investing in businesses in a variety of industries, including sales to private equity groups.
She has advised a variety of nonprofit organizations regarding issues of formation, structuring, compliance, joint ventures, for-profit subsidiaries, intermediate sanctions, unrelated business taxable income, lobbying, tax reporting and fundraising.
Her work in the health care field includes the acquisition and formation of physician practices, general counsel representation of physician groups and advising clients on tax exemption issues.
- University of Florida, LL.M. in Taxation, 1996
- University of Arkansas, J.D., 1994, with high honors
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1991
- Tennessee, 1996
- Arkansas, 1994
- Transactional and Business
- Advised board of full service investment firm on its merger into a subsidiary of a diversified financial services public company which transaction was valued at $67 million, consisting of cash and stock.
- Advised board of life sciences company in up to $77.8 million sale to public company acquirer.
- Advised trucking company on sale to ESOP in leveraged transaction.
- Managed foreign company licensure and permits for convenience store operations in multiple states for over 350 stores.
- Advised board of technology business on $76 million merger transaction with private equity buyer, including management rollover.
- Obtained tax exempt status for a nonprofit organization engaged in scientific research and advised client on unrelated business taxable income.
- Prepared stock appreciation rights plan for various operational divisions of client.
- Advised client on recapitalization of S corporation and gift of 99% of S corporation stock to religious-based donor advised fund.
- Provided tax exemption and private use advice with respect to various tax exempt bond issuances.
- General counsel representation of 501(c)(3) faculty practice plan.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Tax Law Section Executive Council of the Tennessee Bar Association
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Member – Arkansas, Tennessee, Memphis and American Bar Associations
- Member – Association of Women Attorneys
- Clerk – The Honorable Robert Brown, Arkansas Supreme Court
Rate : $$$$