Mary B. Kuusisto is a partner in the Private Funds Group, a member of the Tax Department and head of the London office. Mary has over 20 years of experience in the private equity industry. She advises clients on structuring and operations of private investment funds globally, with particular experience in tax-related matters.
She has represented numerous private investment funds in their formation and operational activities, including venture capital, buyout, distressed debt, mezzanine finance, natural resource, secondary, and funds of funds, as well as geographic and sector specific funds.
Mary also advises investment fund managers and general partners with respect to their internal governance, compensation arrangements and economic structures.
Another significant aspect of Mary’s practice involves advising various types of institutional investors on their investments in global private investment funds. Among others, she has advised funds of funds, pension funds, endowments and foundations – both U.S. and non-U.S. – in connection with their alternative investment strategies.
Mary currently represents the National Venture Capital Association (NVCA), a U.S. trade organization for the venture capital industry, in connection with its legislative agenda and lobbying activities, most notably with respect to the U.S. Congress’s registered investment adviser revisions and carried interest tax proposals.
Mary was registered as a certified public accountant in Massachusetts and, prior to becoming a lawyer, worked for several years as an auditor and tax accountant with Big 4 public accounting firms.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of Florida, B.S., 1986
Admissions & Qualifications :
- Admitted only in Massachusetts
- Registered Foreign Lawyer in England and Wales
- American Bar Association (Tax Section Committees on U.S. Activities of Foreign Taxpayers and Tax Treaties and on Foreign Activities of U.S. Taxpayers)
- European Private Equity & Venture Capital Association – EVCA (Professional Standards Committee 2009-2011)
- British Venture Capital Association – BVCA (Tax Committee 2008-2013)
Rate : $$$