Mary Olson defends companies against product liability claims with an emphasis on tobacco litigation. As a member of Shook’s team working on Engle-Progeny litigation, she drafts motions, conducts fact investigations and prepares outlines for cross-examination.
Mary always seeks to tailor her legal services to her clients’ needs to find the most effective, efficient solution. She is passionate about customizing her approach to her clients’ situations and rejects a one-size-fits-all method of representation.
Mary honed this skill as the manager of an assisted living facility, where she sought to create supportive environments for each resident by understanding each person’s unique physical, medical and emotional needs.
When she has identified her customized approach to her clients’ needs, Mary zealously advocates for her clients in all phases of litigation. She refined her advocacy skills in law school, graduating with a certificate in advocacy and participating in moot court at the national level.
Mary continues to sharpen these skills by representing transgender clients through Shook’s Pro Bono Program. She is a member of the Trans Legal Services Network, helping to ensure that every transgender person has access to assistance navigating the complicated name and gender change process and any other legal issues they may face.
- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law, 2015
- Order of the Coif
- Advocacy Certificate
- Kansas Law Review, Articles Editor
- University of Kansas Moot Court (placed third)
- Charleston School of Law National Moot Court Competition
- Moot Court Council
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards (Product Liability, Complex Litigation, Jurisdiction, Torts, Property, Civil Rights Actions)
- Intern to The Hon. Rebecca Crotty, Shawnee County District Court
- B.A., University of Kansas, 2009 (English)
- KC LEGAL
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Trans Legal Services Network
Rate : $$$$