Mary Katherine Smith is a litigation associate in Baker Donelson’s Memphis office. As a member of the Advocacy Department, Ms. Smith assists clients in general business-related litigation matters.
- The University of Memphis, Cecil H. Humphreys School of Law, J.D., 2016, summa cum laude
- Mississippi State University, B.S. in Psychology, 2013, summa cum laude
- Tennessee, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, 2017
- Assisted in representing a client in a three-day jury trial in a breach of contract action arising out of a lease dispute; obtained a unanimous jury verdict in favor of the client, which resulted in a global settlement of nine related cases and a settlement amount of more than $1 million for the client.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company in a product liability lawsuit alleging that prescription medication manufactured by the company was inadequately labeled; obtained dismissal of the lawsuit on a motion to dismiss.
- Obtained dismissal of a financial institution from a lawsuit alleging breach of contract and fraud arising out of a mortgage transaction on a motion to dismiss; successfully defended dismissal of the lawsuit on appeal.
- Defended a grocery store in a product liability lawsuit alleging that food purchased from the store was improperly labeled, causing the minor plaintiff to have a severe allergic reaction.
- Successfully appealed an action brought by a newspaper seeking access to application materials in the possession of a nonprofit professional association under the Tennessee Public Records Act, obtaining reversal on appeal.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Named an Attorney for Justice by the Tennessee Supreme Court (2018)
- Member – Leo Bearman Sr. Inn of Court (2018)
Rate : $$$