Mary Benton focuses her practice on multistate tax controversy and litigation involving all tax types. She handles all aspects of state and local tax (SALT) disputes—audits, administrative conferences and hearings, judicial appeals (both bench and jury trials, as well as motions practice) and appellate work.
She has a vast amount of experience negotiating with revenue departments to obtain the best resolution for clients, through settlement when possible, or by prosecuting the matter through trial and appeal when necessary.
Mary also maintains a multistate transactional practice, helping clients navigate through complexities in acquisitions, dispositions and reorganizations. She has extensive experience working with clients in the process of expanding or adding headcount, relocating or opening a new facility to identify, claim and maintain state tax credits that directly benefit a company’s bottom line.
Mary maintains a robust schedule of speaking on state tax topics at national conferences and symposia, including COST, IPT, TEI and NYU. Mary also serves on the Georgia Chamber of Commerce Business Climate Committee, chairing the Tax Subcommittee.
- The University of Texas (J.D., 1996)
- Southern Methodist University (B.A., 1993)
Bar Admissions : Georgia
- Georgia State Bar Association, Taxation Section, past chair
- Atlanta Bar Association, Taxation Section
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation, Sales, Income and Property Tax sections
- Atlanta Habitat for Humanity, advisory council
- Emory University, board of visitors
Rate : $$$