Matt Jones represents corporations and individuals in high-stakes government enforcement actions, internal investigations, congressional investigations and complex litigation. He is an experienced advocate and counselor who helps clients navigate the most difficult legal and reputational challenges.
In recent years he has represented individuals and corporations in criminal prosecutions and investigations by the Department of Justice involving allegations of foreign and domestic bribery, economic sanctions violations, money laundering, conflicts of interest and cyberfrauds.
He has also represented clients before the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Defense, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs and various congressional committees.
Before rejoining the firm in 2015, Mr. Jones served for more than five years as counsel and chief of staff to two US Attorneys in the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia. In that role, he helped to lead the nation’s largest US Attorney’s Office, where he oversaw the investigation and litigation of a broad range of complex criminal and civil matters.
He advised the US Attorney on all significant legal decisions, represented the office in communications with senior Department of Justice officials, formulated creative solutions to case-specific and policy issues, and worked with defense counsel, political leaders and the media to advance the US Attorney’s initiatives.
While at the US Attorney’s Office, he handled a wide array of cases, including those involving government procurement, healthcare and securities fraud, national security, international corruption, economic sanctions, money laundering and cybersecurity.
Prior to serving in the Department of Justice, Mr. Jones worked as an associate in the firm’s Investigations and Criminal Litigation Practice, where he represented individuals, corporations and nonprofit clients in matters involving US Attorney’s Offices, the Securities and Exchange Commission, Inspectors General, Congress and private litigants.
He also litigated civil cases, including putative class actions and qui tam suits, in federal trial and appellate courts on constitutional, statutory and procedural issues.
- Counsel for a Fortune 100 manufacturing firm in an FCPA investigation conducted in response to inquiries from the Securities and Exchange Commission and Department of Justice
- Counsel for government contractor in criminal conflict-of-interest investigation by Department of Justice and Office of Inspector General
- Counsel for international businessman in economic sanctions and money laundering prosecution by the Department of Justice
- Counsel for a global social media company in connection with a Senate Commerce Committee inquiry regarding alleged suppression of content
- Counsel for a financial institution in connection with an investigation by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations regarding dividend tax payments.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2005
- BA, Political Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2001
ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia
CLERKSHIPS : The Hon. Judith W. Rogers, US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 2005 – 2006
GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE : Department of Justice, United States Attorneys’ Offices, Counsel and Chief of Staff, US Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia.
Rate : $$$$