As Co-Chair of the firm’s Consumer Class Actions Practice, Matt Powers focuses his practice on products liability and class action defense, and he has extensive experience representing defendants in consumer class actions in California and around the country. Matt also handles complex, multiparty commercial litigation. He has been repeatedly recognized as a “Rising Star” in surveys conducted by the Northern California edition of Super Lawyers magazine.
- Class Action and Mass Tort:
- Defended major consumer products company against false advertising class actions involving personal care products.
- Defended nationwide hotel chain against consumer fraud class action concerning resort and other fees.
- Defended leading online portal company against class action brought under California’s privacy and unfair competition laws.
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in various consumer fraud, unfair competition, and products liability class action and mass tort matters concerning the withdrawal of a prescription drug.
- Defended financial services company in consumer fraud class action litigation involving reverse mortgage products.
- Represented automobile manufacturer in mass action consumer fraud litigation.
- Defended industrial equipment manufacturer against wrongful death claims in product liability action.
- Commercial Litigation:
- Defended nationwide homebuilder in eleven-month bench trial involving disputes over accounting for and profitability of real estate development projects in Southern California.
- Represented nationwide homebuilder in malpractice litigation arising out of real estate development project.
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- University of Texas, J.D.: Order of the Coif; Articles Editor, Texas Law Review
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., Physics
- Honorable Will Garwood, US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, (2000-2001)
Rate : $$$$