Matthew Bisanz is a Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement associate in Mayer Brown’s Washington DC office. He counsels US and non-US financial services firms on a variety of regulatory, compliance, enforcement, and transactional matters.
Regulatory: Matt advises financial institutions on banking and derivatives regulations, insolvency and resolution issues, cybersecurity and data privacy concerns, and financial technology. He also advises on Dodd-Frank Act compliance issues, including Title VII requirements, the Volcker Rule, stress testing, and Reg YY enhanced prudential standards, and Basel III capital and liquidity requirements.
Enforcement: Matt also has experience with sensitive internal investigations and similar matters involving financial services firms (e.g., DOJ/IRS FATCA investigations, OFAC sanctions appeals and compliance, and FinCEN BSA/AML compliance).
Transactional: Matt also advises financial institutions on legislative and regulatory developments regarding complex financial instruments and transactions that are of significance to the financial services industry.
In addition, he addresses regulatory status questions for US and non-US financial institutions effecting transactions in, and providing advice with respect to, securities and derivatives.
Prior to joining the Washington DC office of Mayer Brown in 2013, Matt worked at the SEC, CFTC, DOJ, and FDIC in various regulatory and investigative roles and at a Big Four accounting firm in New York.
- Georgetown University, LLM, with distinction
- Georgetown University, JD
- New York University
- Hofstra University, BBA, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Accounting, University of Maryland University College
- Certified Public Accountant, New York State Board for Public Accountancy
- Certified Public Accountant, District of Columbia Board of Accountancy
- Chair, Enforcement, Insider Liability, and Troubled Banks Subcommittee, American Bar Association
- Member, Banking Law Committee, American Bar Association
- Counseled non-US banks on entry into the US market and restructuring of US operations to maximize regulatory and cost efficiency.
- Advised clients on governance structures relating to implementation of the Federal Reserve’s Regulation YY and the OCC’s Heightened Standards and revised Comptroller’s Handbook.
- Provided financial institutions with advice and opinions regarding clearinghouse membership issues, default fund contributions, and insolvency protections.
- Drafted banking and commodities-related disclosures in US securities filings and similar documentation for US and non-US reporting companies.
- Counseled non-US brokers and traders regarding compliance with CFTC’s ownership and control reporting rules and analogous SRO rules.
- Managed cybersecurity gap assessments for a large US insurer, the US operations of a large non-US bank, and multi-state mortgage lender.
- Provided non-US banks and insurers with multi-state advice on customer privacy and data safeguarding obligations.
Rate : $$$$