Matthew M Burke represents insurers in all aspects of business insurance, with a particular emphasis on clients’ high-stakes coverage litigation stemming from natural catastrophes, terrorist attacks, and professional liability.
Matt provides clients with 20+ years of experience litigating first-party property and professional indemnity coverage actions, bad faith claims, and insurer cost recovery and contribution actions.
Client successes include representing London insurers in the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey’s $1 billion asbestos-in-building case, and litigating the largest repetitive strain railroad coverage case in the country.
In addition to his litigation work with clients, Matt regularly advises large U.S. insurers on professional indemnity claims and the underwriting and drafting of property, professional liability, directors & officers, and other forms of insurance.
His practice also extends to broader business disputes and significant pro bono involvement, including his service as lead attorney in a pro bono civil rights action brought against the City of Atlanta which resulted in changes to police officer training.
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1990
- BA, cum laude, College of the Holy Cross, 1987
- Massachusetts, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 1991
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS :
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- MTA Hurricane Sandy Coverage Claim: Represented London and Bermuda reinsurers in connection with claim in excess of $3 billion for damage to rail yards and lines from Hurricane Sandy.
- Confidential Arbitration / Managed Care: Represent London Market excess insurers in a $15 million professional indemnity claim brought by a health insurer seeking coverage for settlement of two class actions alleging antitrust violations.
- Coordinating counsel for professional indemnity coverage claims involving flawed tax shelter advice by insured law firms. Collectively, the claims seek hundreds of millions of dollars in limits. We coordinate the overall strategy and legal analysis of eight firms handling specific accounts.
- Coordinating counsel for insurers of large law firm in connection with multiple actions filed in U.S. and other jurisdictions arising out of Ponzi scheme operated by law firm client.
- Professional Indemnity Coverage Litigation: Represent London Market insurers in $50 million professional indemnity claim by an HMO seeking coverage for settlement of a nationwide class action alleging RICO and other violations in the payment for medical services.
- Bad Faith Litigation: Successfully defended bad faith claims seeking damages in excess of $700,000 against insurers arising out of Hurricane Katrina and the handling of health hazard claims.
- Logan Airport Wrap-up Insurance Program: Coordinating defense of construction claims against owner and contractors at major international airport under an ownercontrolled insurance program.
Rate : $$$