Matthew K. Cowherd focuses his practice on complex commercial and civil litigation. He has substantial experience in litigation involving financial fraud and handles all aspects of commercial litigation at the trial court and appellate stages.
Matt’s experience covers crafting general litigation strategy, drafting motions, working on depositions, and handling expert discovery and all other aspects of discovery management.
Matt currently serves as a captain in the United States Army Reserve and is a member of the Judge Advocate General’s Corps where he works on a variety of criminal and civil issues within the discipline of military law.
- Successfully represented a leading European bank against claims by a corporation engaged in fraudulent tax shelters.
- Represented the world’s largest bond insurer in federal and state court actions brought by 18 of the world’s largest financial institutions, bondholders and a nationwide class represented by several hedge funds. The entities all challenged the client’s $5 billion restructuring of its structured finance and municipal bond insurance businesses.
- Represented the trustees of a bottling company in connection with its legal malpractice claim against a major national law firm for professional negligence and aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty arising from a massive Ponzi scheme causing more than $500 million in damages to the client’s estate.
- Represented a news company in an antitrust action alleging a conspiracy among the leading magazine publishers and distributors in the country to boycott the client and force bankruptcy.
- Represented an art fund and its affiliates in connection with various claims in connection with the sale of multimillion-dollar works of contemporary art.
- Won a case on a small trial team in a complex fraud suit in a 24-day trial in New York State Supreme Court for, among other things, fraudulent inducement, breach of fiduciary duty, and aiding and abetting fraud.
- New York City Bar Association: Committee on Military Affairs and Justice
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
Community : The Bushwick Starr: Board of Directors
- J.D., Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2005
- M.A., University of Chicago, 2001
- B.A., Lee University, 1999, cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$