Matthew Harper represents clients in a wide range of business, construction, and real estate disputes. He is a member of Eastman & Smith’s Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights, Business Litigation and Construction Law Practice Groups and also chairs the Firm’s litigation section.
Mr. Harper is admitted in state and federal courts throughout Ohio and Michigan and has appeared pro hac vice in business litigation in Indiana, North Carolina, South Carolina and Wisconsin.
In 1989, Mr. Harper obtained his bachelor of arts degree, magna cum laude, from Ashland University where he was named the Criminal Justice Outstanding Senior. Mr. Harper obtained his law degree, magna cum laude, in 1992 from the University of Toledo College of Law where he was the managing editor of the law review, a member of the Order of the Coif, and named the Outstanding College of Law Graduate.
Following his graduation from law school, Mr. Harper served for one year as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard F. Suhrheinrich of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Mr. Harper has engaged in the private practice of law since 1993.
Mr. Harper has presented on various topics relating to business disputes and construction law issues to groups such as the Construction Financial Management Association (annual conference), the Northwest Ohio Chapter of the Construction Financial Management Association, the Mechanical Contractors’ Association of Northwest Ohio, the Toledo Board of Realtors and the Toledo Chamber of Commerce. He has also taught as an adjunct professor at the University of Toledo College of Law.
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 1992
- Ashland University, B.A. magna cum laude, 1989
- Ohio, 1992
- Michigan, 1995
- U.S. District Courts:
- Eastern District of Michigan, 1993
- U.S. Courts of Appeals:
- Federal Court of Claims, 2008
CLERKSHIPS : Hon. Richard F. Suhrheinrich of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
EXPERIENCE: Specific examples of Mr. Harper’s litigation experience include the following.
- Coupled Products, LLC v. Modern Machine Tool Company, Case No. 12CV2727, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Western Division
- Page Plus of Atlanta, Inc., et al. v. Owl Wireless, LLC, Case Nos. 10-CV-002296 and 11-CV-02757, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio and Case Nos. 12-4551/12-4565 and 14-3038/14-3064, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Spiller v. Sky Bank-Ohio Bank Region, Supreme Court of Ohio Case No. 2008-0900 (Obtained ruling strictly enforcing Ohio Revised Code 1109.69 and dismissing plaintiff’s claims against bank.)
- Saferin v. Sky Bank Mid Am Region, Case No. L-05-1091, Court of Appeals of Ohio, Sixth Appellate District, Lucas County,
- Terrance E. Hansen v. National Exposure Testing, Inc., Lucas County, Ohio, Common Pleas Case No. 04-4359 (Obtained jury verdict in favor of minority shareholder for breach of fiduciary duty by majority shareholder.)
- Delivery First, LLC v. Dough-Re-Mi Co., Ltd., Wayne County, Michigan, Circuit Case No. 01-125622 (Obtained jury verdict dismissing suit for breach of contract and damages of $10,000,000.)
- Triomphe Investors v. City of Northwood, 49 F.3d 198, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (Obtained affirmance of summary judgment dismissing constitutional claims against municipality arising from zoning decision.)
- Northwest Ohio chapter of the Construction Financial Management Association (president)
- Toledo Bar Association (past chair, Professionalism Committee)
- Wood County Bar Association
- Behavioral Connections of Wood County (past board member and board president)
- Mom’s House of Toledo, Inc. (past board member)
Rate : $$$$