Matthew W. Gurvitz is counsel in Venable’s Commercial Litigation Group. He has a broad range of experience in complex litigation in state and federal courts, including false advertising and unfair competition; national and state class actions; consumer protection litigation; federal superfund cases; and other commercial matters.
He has also advised retail and consumer product clients on California and federal regulatory requirements. Prior to joining Venable, Matt began his practice at an international law firm.
Representative Matters :
- Defending pet food manufacturer against nationwide class action relating to alleged false and misleading labeling regarding the products’ contents.
- Defending manufacturer of fruit snacks against California and New York consumer class action relating to the representation “made with real fruit.”
- Defended nutritional supplement company against California consumer class action regarding the labeling of the amount of omega-3 in a serving size of a nutritional supplement.
- Defended nutritional supplement distributor against federal Lanham Act and California state unfair competition claims relating to generally recognized as safe (GRAS) claims.
- Represented medical device company against California class claims of false advertising and consumer protection law.
- Representing audio/visual Equipment Company in breach of contract claim against the manufacturer of certain products.
- Represented entertainer in breach of contract against national alcoholic beverage company in California state court.
- Represented national cable provider against alleged harassment and discrimination matter resulting in obtaining summary judgment against all causes of action.
- Represented media group against California class actions relating to alleged employee misclassification.
- Represented major oil company in claims for response costs and natural resource damages at several Superfund sites.
- J.D. Civil Litigation cum laude University of California, Hastings College of the Law 2010
- B.S. Psychology University of Illinois 2006
Bar Admissions : California
Court Admissions :
- California State Court
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Professional Memberships :
- American Bar Association
- LA County Bar Association (Member of Environmental Section Executive Committee 2012-2015)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Member of the Young Lawyers Division Advisory Council 2017–present)
Rate : $$$$