Matthew W. Holder is a partner in the Business Trial and Labor and Employment Practice Groups in the San Diego (Del Mar) office. Mr. Holder is an experienced trial attorney, with an emphasis on complex civil business litigation and labor and employment litigation. In addition to handling civil litigation, Mr. Holder also counsels clients in connection with pre-litigation resolution of disputes and best practices in his areas of expertise.
Mr. Holder’s clients span a variety of industries, including aerospace and aviation, consumer electronics, the automotive industry, insurance, and sporting goods and apparel. Clients value Mr. Holder’s dedication to them and their matters. On every matter, Mr. Holder’s focus is always on the client’s goals and best interest, and he works tirelessly to meet the client’s needs and provide prompt and attentive service.
Whether the matter is small and discreet or a “bet the company” matter, Mr. Holder puts an emphasis on being heavily engaged in the management and execution of every aspect of the litigation process, from setting the strategy, to investigating the matter, to dealing with opposing counsel, to writing, to discovery, and ultimately trial.
Mr. Holder’s recent complex civil business litigation experience includes the following:
- Representing telecommunications industry client in first-of-its-kind litigation involving the obligation to license standard-essential patents on fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory terms and conditions (“FRAND”);
- Representing developer in complex breach of contract action alleging varied lost profits claims based on alleged “exclusivity” vis-à-vis the use of certain property;
- Representing owner of commercial property in complex breach of contract action alleging lost profits claim based on allegedly delayed redevelopment project;
- Representing shareholders of bio-tech company in action alleging breach of merger agreement;
- Representing aviation industry client in action involving competing claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, fraud, defamation, trade libel, and interference with prospective economic advantage based on allegedly defective products;
- Representing nationwide insurance brokerage client in numerous related matters alleging violation of the California Insurance Code, unfair business practices, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud, including attempts to pursue representative or class relief;
- Representing consumer electronics client against claims of misappropriation of trade secrets based on employee mobility; and
- Representing technology company against claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and copyright infringement.
Mr. Holder’s labor and employment experience includes a wide variety of matters, including defending sexual harassment lawsuits; defending lawsuits alleging various forms of discrimination and wrongful termination; defending wage and hour lawsuits, including class actions; defending breach of contract claims, including implied contracts to not terminate absent good cause; representing employees in connection with employee mobility disputes, including with respect to trade secrets; and advising clients regarding a variety of matters related to their personnel and compliance with the law.
- J.D., University of Southern California, 2001; Order of the Coif; National Moot Court Team; Hale Moot Court Semifinalist; American Board of Trial Advocates Award for Excellence in Preparation for Trial Practice of the Law
- B.A., University of Southern California, 1998, magna cum laude
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- J. Clifford Wallace American Inn of Court
- Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court (former)
- Board of Directors, Boys & Girls Clubs of San Dieguito
- Alumni, Pi Kappa Alpha International Fraternity
Rate : $$$$