Matthew S. Hyner is an associate in the Entertainment and Digital Media Practice Group in the firm’s Century City office. Matt’s practice focuses on advising clients on various transactional matters in the entertainment, technology, media, and music fields.
Matt works with studios, large production companies, independent producers, advertising agencies, and digital content creators (including Focus Features [as production counsel on BlackkKlansman], Amazon Studios, Entertainment One, HBO, Vice Media, Oculus, Ogilvy & Mather, Pop Films, Kabam, Peloton Interactive and Fyzz Facility Limited). Specific areas of practice include:
- Film, television and streaming development, including negotiating and drafting rights acquisitions, talent deals and financing documents;
- Film, television and streaming production, including clearance approval and negotiating and drafting real-time production agreements;
- Domestic and international distribution of film and television content;
- Content licensing across various platforms, devices and emerging technologies;
- Brand licensing, endorsements and commercial campaigns;
- Recording, licensing and music publishing; and
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Matt received an LL.M. degree in Entertainment and Media Law from UCLA School of Law. Before attending UCLA, Matt worked as a litigator in New York City, where he handled a wide variety of complex commercial civil cases from inception to completion.
- LL.M., Entertainment and Media Law Policy, University of California, Los Angeles, 2017
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, 2010
- B.A., Washington University in St. Louis, cum laude, 2005
- New York
Rate : $$$