Matthew D. Ingber is Partner-in-Charge of Mayer Brown’s New York office, where he has practiced for more than 20 years. Matthew is a co-leader of the firm’s global Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice and previously served as a co-leader of the global Banking & Finance Litigation practice.
Matthew represents financial institutions, major corporations, insurance companies and individuals in complex, sensitive and high-profile litigation matters. He conducts a general litigation practice before state and federal courts, with cases ranging from complex commercial disputes to civil and criminal securities fraud actions and cutting-edge intellectual property matters.
Matthew performs internal corporate investigations on behalf of management and audit committees, represents securitization trustees in residential mortgage-backed securities matters, represents issuers and underwriters in federal securities class actions and represents individuals and corporations in connection with criminal and regulatory investigations and related civil proceedings. He has served as lead trial counsel in several cases in federal and state courts.
Most recently, Matthew won the first trial against an RMBS trustee arising out of the financial crisis, won a nine-week trial involving a securitization trustee’s conduct in entering into a landmark private-label RMBS settlement, represented a music streaming service in a high-stakes copyright infringement lawsuit, and is representing a telecommunications company in connection with a series of securities and shareholder derivative lawsuits.
Matthew also represents pro bono clients, including the NAACP in corporate governance matters, the City of New York in civil rights matters, and individuals in asylum, civil rights and death penalty cases. He serves as chair of the firm’s New York Pro Bono Committee.
- The George Washington University Law School, JD, with honors
- University of Pennsylvania, BA, magna cum laude with distinction
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Southern District of New York
- US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Member, Board of Directors, The Legal Aid Society
- New York Lawyers for the Public Interest, Pro Bono Advisory Council, 2005 to date
- Representing securitization trustees in several litigations, pending in various jurisdictions, arising out of their role as securitization trustee in residential mortgage-backed securities.
- In 2017, secured a total trial victory for BNY Mellon in the first financial crisis-era case against a securitization trustee to go trial. Reported by the financial press as a “wipeout win in first trial of noteholder claims,” the victory followed a three-week trial in Ohio state court.
- Representing ACE American Insurance Company in a putative class action asserting claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Representing Altice USA in a putative class action asserting claims under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Represented a multinational corporation in connection with an internal investigation relating to irregularities in the management of employee benefit plans for the corporation’s US subsidiaries.
- Represented a leading education and finance company in connection with investigations of the student loan industry by the attorneys general of ten states and various congressional committees.
- Represented major soft-drink manufacturer in tortious interference and breach of contract matter.
- Represented a UK television auction channel in a trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract matter.
Rate : $$$