Matthew A. Kapinos serves as the Deputy Head of the McGuireWoods’ Energy Industry Team and focuses on assisting clients in all phases of drafting and negotiating agreements for the purchase, sale, development, and financing of energy infrastructure and construction projects.
Prior to joining the firm, Matt spent five years on active duty as an infantry officer in the U.S. Army with the 82nd Airborne Division and the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment. His service included combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. Matt is active in a number of community organizations and helps to lead the firm’s veterans pro bono outreach.
- Represented numerous public and private companies (developers, sponsors, and financial investors) in the purchase, development, and project financing of numerous solar-powered generation facilities throughout the United States.
- Represented a client in the project finance of over 1 GW of wind-powered generation that included both debt finance and tax equity funding.
- Represented an investor-owned natural gas transmission company in the drafting, RFP issuance, bid analysis, negotiations, and contract execution management for the development, construction, and purchase of multiple natural gas interconnection and extraction and fractionation processing facilities in the Marcellus and Utica Shale regions.
- Revamped the supply chain management system for a natural gas transmission company in the Eastern United States.
- Represented an international equipment manufacturing company in the purchase of multiple companies in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.
- Represented an investor-owned utility in the mid-Atlantic region in the execution and contract management of all aspects of their supply-chain management.
- Georgetown University Law Center, JD, 2008
- United States Military Academy at West Point, BS, with Honors, 2001
Admissions : Virginia, Texas
- Board of Directors, West Point Society of Richmond
- Member, Board of Advisors, Veterans Benefits Clinic of the Wythe School of Law at the College of William and Mary
- Former Member of Board of Directors, First Presbyterian Preschool, Richmond, Virginia
- Former Member of Board of Directors, Greater Richmond Bar Foundation
- Former Co-chair, Veterans Issues Task Force, Virginia Bar Association.
Rate : $$$