Matthew D. Levitt is a trial-tested litigator who is equally adept at handling sophisticated civil and securities litigation matters and defending clients facing allegations of False Claims Act violations and white collar crime.
He shepherds clients through all phases of civil and criminal litigation, starting with pre-case counseling and including discovery, trial, and the appellate process. His practice also encompasses ancillary proceedings, including SEC investigations and corporate internal investigations.
Matt represents public and private companies, executives, and other individuals from a variety of industries. Matt’s practice encompasses a range of litigation matters, including False Claims Act defense, securities litigation, complex civil litigation, and white collar criminal defense.
He regularly advises clients at all stages of civil and criminal litigation, from pre-litigation counseling and investigation through discovery, trial, and the appeals process.
In 2010, Matt was appointed as a Special Assistant District Attorney for Middlesex County while on a firm-sponsored leave of absence. In that role, Matt prosecuted hundreds of criminal cases, handled arraignments and bail arguments, argued motions to suppress, and took over a dozen cases to jury and jury-waived trials.
Before joining Mintz, Matt served as a law clerk to the Honorable Martha B. Sosman of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts. During law school, he also served as a law intern for the Honorable David N. Hurd, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York.
- Defended a public pharmaceutical company and its officers against 10b claims and Section 11 claims arising out of a secondary public offering and successfully obtained a motion to dismiss these claims on behalf of our client.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company and its former Board of Directors in claims that the Board breached its fiduciary duty by not maximizing the value of its shares in the merger transaction. The Mintz team negotiated an excellent settlement for the company and the Board.
- Represented a private equity company and its principals in a highly contested derivative litigation in the Chancery Court of Delaware alleging breach of fiduciary duty claims by majority shareholders and management of the company.
- Represented a longshoreman against federal charges of falsifying records in connection with, and obstructing, a federal investigation. After a three-week jury trial, Matt’s client was acquitted of all charges.
- Advised construction firms with litigation and compliance issues arising out of state and federal public works projects, including the “Big Dig” project in Boston.
- Assisted in the successful defense of the nation’s largest hospital chain from an attempt to enjoin one of the largest leveraged buyouts in history.
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Penn Law Boston Alumni Club Steering Committee
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (JD, cum laude)
- Brown University (BA, Political Science)
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Rate : $$$