Matthew Evan Lewitz is an experienced litigator, representing clients in state and federal business litigation matters. Matthew focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation, including financial services and securities fraud litigation, contract disputes and actions involving business torts.
Matthew has represented clients in city and state administrative proceedings, as well as clients facing federal and state investigations. He has substantial experience in various aspects of litigation including handling appeals. He routinely helps clients to craft practical and effective solutions to mitigate legal and business risk.
Matthew previously practiced in the New York office of a national law firm where he represented mortgage lenders, loan servicers, and investors in actions involving predatory lending allegations and federal and state consumer protection claims. He also defended law firms and lawyers in high-stakes legal malpractice actions.
Matthew graduated with honors from The George Washington University Law School, where he was a member of The George Washington International Law Review and The George Washington University Law School Moot Court Board.
Matthew was awarded the honors of Best Brief and Best Overall Competitor in the law school’s annual Judge Grenadier International Law Moot Court Competition. Matthew graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Michigan, where he received his Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and Organizational Studies.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a beauty company in an administrative proceeding before the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs.
- Obtained dismissal of a New York state action in which claims of fraudulent concealment, breach of fiduciary duty, and unjust enrichment claims were asserted against a real estate developer arising from the sale of security interests in an investment fund.
- Successfully opposed a motion for class certification in a federal action alleging breach of contract and consumer protection claims against a student loan servicer.
- Obtained dismissal of a $13 million legal malpractice action arising out of the handling of an underlying directors and officers insurance coverage action concerning alleged breach of a stock option agreement.
- Successfully mediated an insurance coverage dispute involving residential property damage arising from Superstorm Sandy.
- The George Washington University, J.D., with honors, 2011
- University of Michigan, B.A., with high distinction, 2008
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York; California
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court — Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court — Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of New York
Rate : $$$$