Matthew H. Marmolejo is a Litigation & Dispute Resolution partner in Mayer Brown’s Los Angeles office. Matt’s practice centers on representing automobile and motor vehicle equipment manufacturers in a variety of litigation and regulatory contexts.
In particular, Matt has extensive experience representing manufacturers in motor vehicle safety matters, including NHTSA proceedings involving compliance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (or TREAD) Act.
In this capacity, Matt provides strategic assistance to companies in preparing for and responding to NHTSA investigations in a variety of contexts, including Preliminary Evaluations and associated Information Requests, Audit Queries, and Special Orders, among others.
Matt also assists his automobile manufacturer and supplier clients in reviewing and enhancing their regulatory and compliance processes and procedures. Matt regularly provides training on a variety of regulatory topics involving automobile safety.
Matt is a member of Mayer Brown’s Connected & Autonomous Group, and represents clients in connection with planned and ongoing testing and deployment of autonomous vehicles throughout the country. In addition to his broad work in Latin American litigation matters, Matt regularly represents clients in complex commercial litigation matters with a focus on Latin America.
He represents both American clients with business disputes in Latin America and Latin American clients involved in US litigation in state and federal courts and in international arbitration proceedings.
Matt has conducted comprehensive internal investigations, led extensive pre-trial discovery and motion practice, and has acted as trial counsel for his clients on these matters.
- Stanford Law School, JD
- University of California, Irvine, BA, summa cum laude
- US District Court for the Eastern District of California
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Represents European insurer in multi-million dollar lawsuit in New York state court concerning the purchase of Mexican insurance and bonding companies
- Part of trial team that obtained unanimous award for client concerning a failed resort venture in arbitration conducted in Mexico City under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce
- Represented US subsidiary of Mexican telecommunications company in obtaining dismissal of two class action lawsuits concerning alleged misrepresentations in the sale and marketing of prepaid telephone cards
- Part of team representing major Latin American telecommunications network operator in lawsuit in New York state court arising out of the acquisition of Ecuadorian mobile carrier
- Part of team that secured unanimous en banc opinion dismissing lawsuit against major European reinsurer concerning World War I-era insurance claims
- Part of team that secured dismissal of multiple lawsuits seeking well over $60 million in damages against European banks alleging expropriation of real and personal property
- As first chair trial lawyer, obtained favorable judgment in four-day trial in dispute between contractor and subcontractor concerning large construction development
Rate : $$$