Matthew L. McGinnis’s practice extends to a wide range of securities, corporate governance, restructuring, and antitrust disputes. Matt has helped steer clients to successful resolutions in a variety of complex civil and enforcement matters, and has a deep understanding of the litigation issues facing private equity, hedge fund, credit fund, and other asset management clients.
Matt has significant experience in all phases of litigation, including trials and appeals, and has practiced and appeared before state and federal courts throughout the country. A Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star, Matt also regularly advises private equity, hedge fund and other clients on a variety of securities, antitrust, and other matters.
- JD, summa cum laude, Boston College Law School, 2006; Order of the Coif; James W. Smith Award for Highest Academic Rank; Editor in Chief, Boston College Law Review
- BA (Classics and English), summa cum laude, University of Puget Sound, 2000; Phi Beta Kappa
- Massachusetts, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2007
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable Harris L Hartz, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (2006 – 2007)
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES :
- Boston Bar Association, Administration of Justice Standing Committee
- Boston Bar Foundation, Junior Fellow
- Trial counsel for TravelCenters of America in highly expedited proceedings in Delaware Court of Chancery concerning the purported termination of a business-critical merchant contract. The trial culminated in judgment for our client and an award of attorneys’ fees.
- Trial counsel for investment bank in widely publicized five-week jury trial about bank’s role as financial adviser in connection with a $600 million stock sale to Belgian firm before that firm’s fraud was revealed. The trial culminated in a complete verdict for our client.
- Trial counsel in commercial leasing dispute involving claims of unfair and deceptive business practices, which culminated in a finding of no unfair or deceptive practices by our client.
- Counsel for Fortune 500 company in antitrust litigation involving allegations of conspiracy and boycott.
- Counsel for leading technology company in securities class action alleging fraud following a $900 million restatement.
- Counsel for companies, shareholders, and acquirers in litigation arising out of M&A transactions.
- Counsel for multiple firms in connection with insider trading investigations.
Rate : $$$