Matthew Murphy is an associate in the Providence office of Locke Lord. He assists insurers with complex claims and coverage matters. Matt’s representation has involved general liability, professional liability, directors and officers, errors and omissions, financial liability and property and casualty claims. He also represents insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation in state and federal courts.
Matt is also a member of the firm’s Privacy and Cybersecurity practice group and its Incident Response Team, through which he advises clients on privacy, cybersecurity compliance and breach response, drawing on experience from his prior career as a software engineer.
Matt also advises clients on best practices in litigation and claims management, including preparation for litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
During law school, Matthew was a Managing Editor of the Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review. He also interned for the Honorable Judge William E. Smith, United States District Court Judge for the District of Rhode Island.
Representative Experience :
- Advised insurance companies on compliance with the New York Department of Financial Service’s Cybersecurity Regulations.
- Advised multiple clients on responding to incidents of inadvertent disclosures of protected health information and personally identifiable information.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing insured’s complaint seeking coverage for privacy violations alleged in two class actions brought against the insured under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Defended coverage action under excess liability policy involving product contamination claims and nationwide recall of contaminated food products.
- Advised insurer on coverage allocations in negotiations with insured, resulting in a multi-million dollar savings to client.
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- J.D., Boston College Law School
- M.S., University of Rhode Island
- B.A., The University of Vermont
Admissions : Massachusetts; Rhode Island
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island
Rate : $$$