Matthew Previn has extensive experience representing financial services institutions in a wide range of examinations, investigations, and enforcement actions brought by myriad government agencies. In addition, he counsels banks and other financial services companies on consumer finance regulatory and compliance matters.
A Partner in Buckley Sandler LLP’s New York office, he represents banks, mortgage originators and servicers, credit card issuers, and specialty finance companies in matters initiated by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), and state attorneys general and financial regulators.
Mr. Previn spearheads the firm’s Class Actions practice in New York, and has litigated cases arising under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act (HOEPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA), and unfair and deceptive trade practices statutes.
Noteworthy litigation matters include the representation of:
- Banks and nonbank mortgage lenders in putative class actions challenging the formation and operation of MERS
- Large mortgage servicer in a putative nationwide class action regarding customer enrollment in home service and home warranty plans
- Leading credit card issuer in a class action regarding the reduction in credit lines and assessment of overlimit fees; a nationwide class settlement reached
- Leading national bank in a putative nationwide class action alleging RESPA violations in connection with an alleged captive mortgage reinsurance arrangement
- Multiple financial institutions in qui tam actions brought under the FCA and state law corollaries
Mr. Previn has been recognized by Legal 500 as a leading lawyer in Financial Services: Litigation. Prior to joining Buckley Sandler, Mr. Previn was Senior Counsel at HSBC Finance Corporation, where he provided regulatory advice and managed litigation for the bank credit card and private label credit card businesses. Before joining HSBC, he was a member of the financial institutions and litigation groups at WilmerHale.
Mr. Previn served as a law clerk to the Honorable Cornelia Kennedy of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. He received his J.D. from Georgetown University and his B.A. from Yale University.
Rate : $$$$