Matthew J. Piers is a shareholder and the president of Hughes Socol Piers Resnick & Dym, Ltd., as well as a member of the firm’s Management Committee. He is an internationally recognized trial and appellate attorney, with a practice concentrated on complex litigation matters.
He has over 40 years of experience in complex and class action litigation in a broad array of federal and state courts around the country. For plaintiffs, he has obtained hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements including single case amounts exceeding $200 million. He has also successfully defended litigation involving claims for hundreds of millions of dollars.
After three years of college at Cornell University, Mr. Piers enrolled in the University of Chicago Law School, where he graduated in 1974. He worked for a year as a staff attorney at the Legal Assistance Foundation of Chicago, and then established a private litigation practice.
From 1984 to 1989, Mr. Piers served as Deputy Corporation Counsel of the City of Chicago, supervising all litigation for the City under the administration of Mayor Harold Washington. He joined HSPRD in 1989.
Mr. Piers practice focuses on complex litigation cases involving mass tort, commercial, constitutional, civil liberties, consumer protection, and employment and housing discrimination claims. He also has extensive experience representing whistleblowers in false claims (qui tam) cases.
From 2010 to 2015, Mr. Piers was the lead attorney for the PROTEJE Program of the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores of the United Mexican States (the foreign ministry of the government of Mexico), providing legal representation in impact cases brought on behalf of Mexican nationals throughout the United States.
- University of Chicago Law School (J.D. 1974)
- Cornell University
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois (1974)
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois – General & Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
MEMBERSHIPS / ASSOCIATIONS :
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Council of Lawyers
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Taxpayers Against Fraud
- Litigation Advisory Committee, American Immigration Council
- Board of Advisors, American Constitution Society, Chicago Chapter
Rate : $$$$