Matthew J. Richards is a partner in the firm’s private equity transactions group in the Chicago office. Matt advises private equity funds, their portfolio companies, other private and public companies, venture investors, and family offices on a variety of complex acquisition, sale, financing, and restructuring transactions.
He regularly works on large cap and middle market leveraged acquisitions, growth equity and venture financing transactions, going private transactions, sales and other dispositions, and strategic acquisitions.
He also has experience in senior and subordinated debt financing, high yield offerings, private placements of debt securities, and restructuring transactions. He routinely counsels clients on management compensation and equity arrangements, corporate governance, compliance matters, and joint ventures.
Matt has represented companies and investors in transactions in a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, life sciences, software, business services, consumer products, manufacturing, and distribution.
He has strong experience in transactions involving financial services, including transactions involving broker-dealers, insurance brokers, advisers to registered and unregistered funds, and other asset managers.
- JD, with Honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 2000
- MA, Columbia University, 1998
- BA, with Honors, Johns Hopkins University, 1995; Phi Beta Kappa
ADMISSIONS : Illinois, 2000
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable W. Eugene Davis, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (2000 – 2001)
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS : American Bar Association
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners in its going-private acquisition of National Financial Partners, a leading provider of benefits, insurance, and wealth management services, for approximately US$1.3 billion.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners in its acquisition of Multi Packaging Solutions, a leading provider of print-based specialty packaging.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its strategic investment in Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company, the leading behavioral health specialty pharmacy company in the US.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in Ansira Partners, Inc., a leading data-driven, technology-enabled marketing solutions provider.
- Represented NFP in connection with the acquisition by Stone Point Capital of a majority interest in Kestra Financial, the former NFP Advisor Services business, and the related strategic relationship between NFP and Kestra.
- Represented CIVC Partners and KPA Services in connection with KPA’s majority investment from Providence Equity Partners and CIVC’s retention of a minority interest in KPA.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its recapitalization of and strategic investment in Wireless Vision, the largest T-Mobile Exclusive Retailer in the US.
- Represented Weather Group, and its majority equity holders Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group, in the sale of Weather, the leading provider of severe weather coverage, to Entertainment Studios, Inc.
- Represented iCapital Network in connection with its acquisition of the HedgeFocus business of Credit Suisse and the US Private Equity Access Fund Platform of Deutsche Bank.
- Represented Fisk Ventures in connection with permanent and bridge equity financing for multiple portfolio companies in the diagnostics, genomics, telecom, and medical device industries.
- Represented Quadrant Capital Advisors in connection with venture and growth equity financing for multiple portfolio companies in the spirits, beverages, fashion, retail, and telecom industries.
Rate : $$$$