Matthew L. Sagone focuses his practice on construction and securities matters. He advises owners, including school districts, municipalities, counties and townships, on construction projects. As construction counsel, his responsibilities include negotiating architect, design-build and construction management contracts, drafting construction bidding documents, advising on matters arising during bidding and award, and advising on resolution of disputes that may arise during the construction phase.
In addition, he is experienced in negotiating and reviewing real estate purchase agreements and leases. Early in his legal career, Matt served as an assistant attorney general in the Business and Government Regulation Section of the Office of the Attorney General of Ohio. His work included competitive bidding matters, construction, real estate and personal services contracts, and litigating administrative and civil matters.
He is a regular presenter on topics addressing compliance with public construction requirements, construction reform, acquisition and disposition of property, and compliance with Ohio public records and open meeting requirements for the Ohio Association of School Business Officials, Ohio School Boards Association and the Buckeye Association of School Administrators.
Matt reviews, revises and updates chapters of the Baldwin’s Ohio School Law handbook addressing the acquisition and disposition of school property, the construction and repair of school buildings, and the management and use of school property. He was also instrumental in drafting the language of Ohio Revised Code 167.084, which expanded the cooperative purchasing powers of Ohio councils of government.
- Capital University, J.D., 1994
- The Ohio State University, B.A., cum laude, 1991
Admissions : Ohio, 1994
- U.S. Ct. of App., Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Ohio
Memberships and Affiliations :
- Member of the Ohio State Bar Association
- Member of the Construction Law Committee of the Columbus Bar Association
- Former member of the board of trustees of Inner City Catholic Parishes, Inc. where he served as the board vice president and chair of the Strategic Planning Committee
- Drafting complex cooperative agreements among political subdivisions for the development, construction and joint use of public property and facilities.
- Drafting and negotiating leases for real and personal property, including leases for the redevelopment of vacant public facilities, cell tower leases, oil and gas leases, and equipment leases.
- Drafting and negotiating agreements for the installation of energy conservation improvements, including contracts providing for guaranteed energy savings and for the installation of wind turbine facilities.
- Advising political subdivisions on compliance with requirements of Ohio public records and open meeting requirements.
- Advising on cooperative purchasing through contracts of the state of Ohio and contracts of political subdivisions.
Rate : $$$$