Matthew S. Schonholz is of counsel in the Los Angeles office of Munger, Tolles & Olson. His practice is focused on counseling public and private companies and investment funds in the tax structuring and documentation of public and private mergers, equity and asset acquisitions and dispositions, and transactions involving S corporations, partnerships, LLCs and disregarded entities.
He also counsels corporations, investment managers of hedge funds and private equity funds, and operating partnerships on structuring and tax issues of formation, choice of entity, and operating and joint-venture agreements.
Mr. Schonholz joined the firm from Sidley Austin LLP, where he represented companies on the tax aspects of various transactions and advised fund sponsors and investment advisers on the structuring, formation, funding and operation of various investment services and products. He previously held positions in the Transaction Tax Group at Ernst & Young LLP and the litigation group at Irell & Manella LLP.
- Apollo Global Management in its $2.6 billion acquisition of publicly traded Aspen Insurance Holdings.
- An investor group led by investment funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC in its $1.4 billion acquisition of 40.6 percent of OneMain Holdings, Inc. from affiliates of Fortress Investment Group LLC.
- Berkshire Hathaway on the issuance and sale of a $1.25 billion 4.25% investment grade senior notes offering due 2049.
- Genentech in its acquisition of Seragon Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biotechnology company focused on the treatment of breast cancer, for up to $1.725 billion in cash.
- Medivation in its acquisition of worldwide rights to the breast cancer treatment, talazoparib, from BioMarin Pharmaceutical for cash consideration of up to $570 million.
- Omnicell in its acquisition of Aesynt, a leading provider of medication and supply management solutions, for $275 million.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Schonholz clerked for Judges Nora M. Manella and Dikran Tevrizian of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Schonholz is an adjunct professor of law at Loyola Law School Los Angeles.
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (LL.M., high distinction, 2011)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2005) Order of the Coif
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A.,cum laude, 2000)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
Rate : $$$$