Matthew Sperry is a partner in McGuireWoods’ Private Wealth Services group and focuses his practice on international tax, private client, family direct investing and securities matters. Matthew serves as chair of McGuireWoods’ Global Private Client practice, a firm initiative that serves the tax, estate planning, structuring, business, real estate and other legal needs of global families, family offices and trust companies.
His deep tax experience, combined with his experience as a practicing business lawyer, specifically qualifies him to coordinate and deliver a broad spectrum of global legal services on an efficient, practical and holistic basis. Matthew regularly travels within the United States and abroad to provide his clients with personal attention and superior service.
Matthew routinely develops solutions for the complex tax issues confronted by high-net-worth individuals and families and family offices as they interact with the United States.
Matthew has extensive experience designing and implementing holistic family structures that solve for global taxation challenges, privacy, wealth transfer and succession, asset protection and global information compliance. He regularly assists clients in the architecture, execution and operation of their family offices.
Matthew’s client base includes families resident throughout the world, including China, India, Latin America, the Middle East, Europe and Canada. Matthew regularly works with other family advisers both within and outside of the United States to provide holistic advice to clients that interact with multiple countries.
Matthew’s tax experience includes serving as a federal law clerk to Judge Carolyn P. Chiechi of the United States Tax Court in Washington, DC. Matthew also holds a Master’s Degree in Tax Law from the University of Florida.
Matthew’s client base includes private investment funds, private equity managers, venture capital firms and commodity pool operators. Matthew has broad experience dealing with the securities issues that can arise when families desire to raise capital from sources both within and outside of the United States.
- Representation of a London-based sponsor of private U.S. real estate investments for global ultra-high net worth families and family offices. Representation included :
- designing and implementing investment structures designed to shield non-U.S. investors from U.S. estate taxes while minimizing U.S. income tax leakage;
- addressing investor concerns regarding U.S. tax reporting and, more specifically, their desire to manage tax reporting such that they personally do not have to file income tax returns in the United States;
- advising the client as to each investment structure’s requirements under U.S. FATCA and global Common Reporting Standards (CRS); and
- Representation of a prominent U.S. family with an existing U.S.-based family office in establishing a new family office branch in Switzerland.
- Designing and implementing a U.S. tax efficient structure to permit an ultra-high-net-worth Mexican family gift global family assets to their U.S.-resident child.
- Representation of a Zurich-based trust company in connection with the U.S. tax consequences of a proposed plan to decant a series of long-standing non-U.S. trusts to new non-US trusts.
- Representation of the family office of an ultra-high-net-worth family in its investment in global oil and gas properties, including the negotiation of a long-term development arrangement.
- Representation of a Fortune Global 100 company in its acquisition of a water treatment business conducted in 15 countries.
- Representation of an ultra-high-net-worth family in its acquisition of a global hotel management company.
- Representation of the family office of an ultra-high-net-worth family in its acquisition of a German-based manufacturer of precision industrial equipment.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, Master’s in Tax Law (LLM)
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, JD
- University of Florida, BBA
Admissions : Florida, Illinois, New York
Rate : $$$