Matthew D. Stockwell helps clients in all sectors prevent problems before they occur, and solve problems when they do arise. Matt is an experienced counselor and litigator and has handled high-profile insurance coverage and construction disputes.
Matt represents construction companies, owners and developers in all aspects of contract negotiations, payment disputes and litigation. He focuses on avoiding potential conflict early, through procurement of insurance policies and in the contract stage, but has also assisted clients in recovering more than $250 million in litigation and arbitration.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Represents New York University Medical Center in connection with its physical damage and business interruption losses stemming from Superstorm Sandy, which exceed $1 billion.
- Recovered more than $100 million on behalf of the structural steel fabricator and erector for the World Trade Center (including Tower 1, Tower 4, and the Transportation Hub) in its dispute with the Port Authority of NY & NJ over cost over-runs, changes and extra work.
- Secured for client Victaulic Company a $55.3 million breach of contract, bad faith and punitive damages jury verdict, including more than $8 million in attorney’s fees and $46 million in punitive damages in favor of a mechanical pipe joining manufacturer.
- Represented steel fabricator in a dispute over the construction of the Willis Avenue Bridge in New York.
- Secured more than $75 million for a national developer of commercial and residential property in connection with construction defects suffered at one of its 400 unit residential complex.
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, 2005
- B.A., Rowan University, 2002
ADMISSIONS : New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Courts for the Districts of New Jersey
- Northern, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- Eastern and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
Rate : $$$$