Matt Thurlow is an environmental and toxic tort litigator with significant experience in matters brought under the Clean Air Act, CERCLA, Clean Water Act and TSCA. His clients include major oil and gas companies, utilities, manufacturers and financial services companies.
He previously served in the Environmental Enforcement Section of the U.S. Department of Justice. During that time, Matt acted as lead counsel on a variety of civil enforcement matters, including a major Clean Water Act case, several Superfund cases, and Clean Air Act matters involving power plants and oil refineries.
During his time in private practice, Matt represented clients in insurance recovery matters, administrative disputes and complex commercial litigation. Matt has also recovered millions in insurance proceeds under Commercial General Liability, Directors and Officers, Errors & Omissions, Environmental and Cyber Liability policies.
He has extensive experience submitting and negotiating complex insurance claims involving multiple claims, different carriers and incomplete or missing policy information. Matt is a frequent writer and speaker for the American Bar Association.
- Negotiated numerous consent decree settlements with the EPA and DOJ involving power plants, industrials and oil refineries.
- Served as lead counsel for a Fortune 50 company in several state-wide MTBE litigations.
- Recently advised an international company in an arbitration dispute involving environmental criminal claims.
- Frequently advises companies in oil and gas, electrical generation and industrial manufacturing regarding Clean Air Act, CERCLA, RCRA and Clean Water Act regulatory compliance.
- Significant litigation experience against the EPA, Department of Justice and citizens groups in enforcement cases.
Memberships : American Bar Association: Section of Energy, Environment, and Resources
- J.D., Yale Law School, 2005; Editor, Yale Law Journal
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2002, with highest distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$