Matthew G. White concentrates his practice in the areas of securities litigation, litigation involving financial institutions, broker-dealer and investment adviser law and regulation, and investigations and enforcement proceedings involving the SEC, FINRA, and other government agencies and self-regulatory organizations.
Based in the Memphis office, Matt defends national and regional securities firms and their registered representatives in a wide range of matters including customer-initiated arbitrations and litigation, as well as in enforcement proceedings and investigations by the SEC, self-regulatory organizations and state securities agencies.
Matt also advises clients on a wide variety of regulatory and compliance matters, including cybersecurity and data privacy-related issues. He has also represented corporations and individual directors in securities class actions, derivative suits and other litigation.
In addition to his securities-related work, Matt has extensive experience in complex commercial and general business litigation. He has litigated trial and appellate matters in both state and federal courts, and in mediation and arbitration. Matt has also defended financial institutions and other corporations in class action litigation.
Matt is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and a Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM). As a member of the Firm’s Data Protection, Privacy, and Cybersecurity Team, Matt provides counsel on a wide range of privacy/security matters, including all facets of electronic information management, cyber liability, risk management, data issues, and data breaches.
He advises on the investigation, response, notification, and defense of data breaches or incidents, and assists with internal policy creation and training, and responding to regulatory inquiries regarding cybersecurity issues.
In this regard, Matt particularly focuses on helping financial institutions implement policies, procedures, and best practices concerning data security, privacy, and protecting both confidential information and customer information. Matt has conducted numerous internal investigations and defended corporate and individual clients in government investigations and white collar actions.
He has investigated and litigated matters involving securities fraud, tax fraud, health care fraud, antitrust violations, violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, violations of U.S. domestic content laws and various other corporate compliance issues. In addition, Matt has defended clients in actions brought under the False Claims Act, including qui tam actions.
- University of Florida, Levin College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Florida, B.A., magna cum laude
- Virginia, 2009
- District of Columbia, 2010
- Tennessee, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Defended broker-dealers and registered investment advisers in SEC enforcement actions.
- Defended broker-dealers in FINRA enforcement actions.
- Defended the officer of a company in a SEC inquiry regarding alleged material misrepresentations.
- Represented the officers of a public company in bankruptcy and in a parallel criminal investigation, civil litigation and regulatory investigation
- Represented a mortgage company in a case before the Tennessee Court of Appeals in which the Court held that there is no private right of action to enforce the Home Affordable Modification Program.
- Represented a local government in litigation arising from school system consolidation.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – American Bar Association
- Member – Memphis Bar Association
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association
- Member – Virginia Bar Association
- Member – Leo Bearman, Sr. American Inn of Court
Rate : $$$$