Matthew F. Williams concentrates his practice in class action and complex litigation matters. He primarily defends product manufacturers and service providers facing high-stakes consumer fraud and personal injury litigation.
Matt participated extensively in a false advertising class action against a major beverage company, assisting with discovery, research, briefing and class resolution strategy. He also currently represents two industry-leading chemical manufacturers in dozens of individual and aggregate personal injury and property damage lawsuits pending across eight jurisdictions.
Matt’s work for these clients includes case evaluation and strategy, initial pleadings and other briefing, and negotiations with co-defendants and plaintiffs’ counsel. He also regularly defends automotive product liability cases in California courts.
Matt is active in the firm’s pro bono practice: he led the briefing for an asylum appeal before the Ninth Circuit and helped to favorably resolve an Eighth Amendment claim for an incarcerated client.
- J.D., University of California Hastings College of the Law, 2018
- Hastings Business Law Journal, Executive Articles Editor
- West-Northwest Journal of Environmental Law and Policy, Executive Articles Editor
- Recipient, Dean’s Scholarship
- CALI and Witkin Awards (Legal Writing and Research; Constitutional Law; Energy Law)
- UC Hastings Individual Representation Clinic
- Moot Court, Best Oral Advocate, Honorable Mention Brief
- Hastings Environmental Law Association
- Hastings Trial Law Association
- B.A., University of California – Santa Cruz, 2014 (Politics)
- Politics Departmental Honors
- Dean’s Honors
- College Service Citation
- Chair, Cowell College Senate
- University of California – Santa Cruz, Course Instructor (History)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- San Francisco Bay Area Planning and Urban Research Association (SPUR)
Rate : $$$$