Maximillian S. Shifrin focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation. He has represented large institutions, small businesses and individual clients across a wide range of industries, and he has experience overseeing all aspects of pretrial litigation.
Max is currently a member of the BakerHostetler team serving as court-appointed counsel to the Securities Investor Protection Act (SIPA) Trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (BLMIS), an unprecedented effort involving more than 1,000 lawsuits filed by the SIPA Trustee to recover assets for the benefit of defrauded BLMIS customers.
- Obtained a settlement for a foreign application developer sued for alleged copyright infringement arising out of its publication of a mobile video game. The representation involved document collection, review and production, depositions, and significant motion practice in the United States District Court for the Central District of California, including a successful motion to transfer the case from California to the Southern District of New York, which enabled the matter to settle on terms favorable to the client.
- Obtained a settlement for a New York contractor in a multimillion-dollar Employee Retirement Income Security Act action brought by benefit funds for delinquent contributions. The representation involved extensive document collection, review and production, numerous depositions, and significant motion practice and hearings in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Obtained a dismissal in favor of a residential property owner in a putative class action in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania arising out of the property owner’s assessment of late fees.
- Represented a global natural gas company in a multimillion-dollar breach of contract dispute. The representation involved extensive international document collection, review and production, numerous depositions, and significant motion practice and hearings in the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
- Obtained a settlement on behalf of a creditor in a multimillion-dollar New York foreclosure action. The representation involved significant motion practice and hearings in the Commercial Division of the New York Supreme Court.
- American Bar Association: Litigation Section
- New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 2010, cum laude; Notes & Comments Editor, Brooklyn Law Review; Moot Court Honor Society; Alexander Mehr Award for Outstanding Moot Court Advocacy
- B.A., University of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York
Rate : $$$