Meaghan H. Kent focuses on intellectual property law, including copyrights, trademarks, right of publicity, and patents. She is particularly experienced in copyright law, including development of copyright portfolios, enforcement strategies, licensing, clearance, fair use analysis, and litigation.
Meaghan regularly counsels on trademark and brand protection, developing efficient enforcement strategies to monitor and abate online infringement, and litigating trademark and trade dress disputes in federal court and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Meaghan is a registered patent attorney, and has litigated cases through trial and before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the International Trade Commission (ITC).
Meaghan began her career defending real estate developers accused of copyright infringement of architectural plans. Over the years, she has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in litigation across the country.
She often works with toy, game, and related entertainment and media companies, innovative consumer product companies, software companies, and art publishers on enforcement, anti-piracy, and anti-counterfeiting. She is proud to advise the Toy Industry Association, the Art Copyright Coalition, and their members on such matters.
Her experience in resolving online disputes includes cyberpiracy and domain name matters (ACPA, UDRP, URS); keyword advertising, meta tagging, and click fraud matters; Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedowns and counter-notifications; and publicity matters involving social media.
- J.D. cum laude University of California, Hastings College of the Law 2005
- B.S. Microbiology and Molecular Genetics University of California at Los Angeles 2002
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia, Florida, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Clerk Experience :
- Honorable Paul R. Haerle California Court of Appeal
- Honorable Edward M. Chen U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Member, District of Columbia Bar, Intellectual Property Section
- Founding member, DC/MD/VA Chapter of Women in Toys
- Advises pro bono clients through Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts regarding copyright and other intellectual property disputes
- Member, Board of Governors, University of California–Hastings, 2015 – 2018, and is active with the organization’s alumni group in Washington, DC
Rate : $$$