Megan T. Burns fights for justice on behalf of her clients whether they are charged with a crime or seeking recovery after being injured through no fault of their own. While Ms. Burns has successfully negotiated hundreds of cases, she is also an aggressive and experienced trial attorney.
With over ten years of litigation experience in private practice and as a deputy public defender in San Francisco and Solano Counties, Ms. Burns possesses the skills necessary to secure the best outcome for her clients.
In her criminal defense practice, Ms. Burns has worked on nearly every type of criminal case imaginable from special circumstances homicide to drunk driving. She spent many years advocating for indigent defendants at the San Francisco Public Defender’s Office, arguably the best criminal defense firm in the United States.
She has tried close to forty jury trials and is regularly invited to speak regarding trial skills by professional organizations and public agencies. She is currently on the Board of Directors for the Alameda County Bar Association and a member of the Earl Warren Inns of Court.
Ms. Burns has diverse experience representing plaintiffs in civil cases from federal civil rights litigation to minor traffic accidents. When one of her clients was illegally arrested for political speech, she helped file a civil rights lawsuit that resulted in an important First Amendment decision by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Big case or small case, Ms. Burns enjoys helping people through a difficult time in their lives. While Ms. Burns cannot guarantee a particular outcome, her successful record demonstrates her unyielding commitment to fiercely advocating for her clients.
She graduated with honors from Boston College in 1999 and earned her law degree from Lewis & Clark Law School in 2004. She is married, lives in Oakland and has a daughter.
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School, Portland, Oregon, 2004
- Undergraduate Degree, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, 1999
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Alameda County Bar Association (Board of Directors)
- Earl Warren Inns of Court (Member)
- Eastern Alameda County Bar Association (Member)
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice (Board of Directors, Emeritus)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (Member)
- Women Defenders (Board of Directors, Emeritus)
Rate : $$$$