Melanie Brody is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Washington DC office and a member of the Consumer Financial Services group. She concentrates her practice on federal and state government enforcement and regulatory compliance matters, primarily for banks, fintech lenders mortgage lenders, auto lenders, credit card issuers, student lenders and other financial service providers.
She represents clients in investigations, examinations and enforcement actions by the US Department of Justice, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Reserve Board, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Department of Housing and Urban Development, Federal Trade Commission, state banking regulators and state attorneys general.
Melanie assists clients with enforcement, examination and compliance matters involving a variety of issues, including fair lending, fair servicing and unfair, deceptive or abusive acts or practices. She also handles compliance matters involving consumer finance laws, including the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Fair Housing Act, Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Home Mortgage Disclosure Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Truth in Lending Act and Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act.
Melanie has been ranked among the top national lawyers in Consumer Finance by Chambers USA every year since 2008. In 2018, she earned a Band 2 national ranking under Financial Services Regulation: Consumer Finance (Compliance).
- Syracuse University College of Law, JD, cum laude
- University of Connecticut, BA
Admissions : District of Columbia
Activities : Member of Women in Housing and Finance and served on its Board from 2004-2006
- Represented large national banks, regional banks, mortgage lenders, auto lenders, student lenders, credit card issuers and other consumer financial service providers in Consumer Financial Protection Bureau investigations and enforcement actions involving fair lending, unfair, deceptive, and abusive acts and practices (UDAAPs), and other consumer finance issues.
- Represented large national lenders in loan pricing and product placement investigations and enforcement actions by state attorneys general.
- Represented financial services providers in regulatory compliance examinations by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Reserve Board, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and state banking agencies.
- Developed fair lending and fair servicing compliance management systems and monitoring programs for banks, fintech lenders, mortgage lenders, mortgage servicers, auto lenders, credit card issuers and other consumer finance companies.
- Performed regulatory compliance evaluations and due diligence reviews for banks, mortgage companies, fintech lenders and other consumer finance companies.
Rate : $$$