Melanie A. Miller began as a commercial litigator and now concentrates her practice in all aspects of complex commercial, general, and intellectual property litigation. Melanie has litigated a variety of intellectual property cases, with a focus on trademark and copyright infringement actions, as well as on unfair competition and false advertising actions.
She has trial and appellate experience, and extensive experience litigating opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Melanie represents both public and private companies, as well as individuals.
Melanie’s cases have included litigation of trademarks and trade dress relating to apparel, pharmaceuticals, foods, computers, consumer products and a variety of service sectors, including financial advisory services, hospitality and restaurant services, educational and research services, and medical services.
In addition to her litigation practice, Melanie regularly counsels clients regarding trademark and copyright matters, including domain name disputes, as well as advising on branding strategies; managing portfolios; policing efforts to protect trademarks and copyrights, and advising clients on licensing arrangements. She has also counseled clients regarding intellectual property and liability issues related to the Internet.
Melanie earned her Bachelor of Arts at Franklin & Marshall College in 1989 and her law degree, with honors, at Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1994, where she was an associate and senior editor for the Chicago-Kent Law Review.
- Successfully overcame a motion to dismiss, which centered on a laches argument, in a trademark infringement case filed in federal court in Rhode Island. We then secured a favorable resolution of the matter on the eve of trial when the defendant agreed to discontinue use of our client’s mark.
- Counsel for the estate of the author of “Disco Inferno” whereby ownership of copyright renewal rights, and corresponding royalty payments, were favorably resolved.
- Counsel for Oaysis Mobile, Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and Thumbplay in defense of trademark infringement claims asserted by Mantra Entertainment.
- Counsel for ABR and various doctors in defense of claims of copyright infringement and breach of contract asserted by the American Board of Internal Medicine.
- Counsel for Celgene Corporation in various intellectual property litigation matters including copyright and trademark infringement.
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1994
- Franklin and Marshall College, B.A., 1989
BAR ADMISSIONS : New Jersey; Pennsylvania
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court — Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court — New Jersey
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Rate : $$$$