Melissa Sue Barber has been working in the area of family law since 2002. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Melissa worked as a legal assistant for a family law solo practice learning the basic procedures involved in a family law case.
Continuing to develop her skills in this area of law, Melissa was promoted to paralegal and continued working in this position throughout college and during summer breaks from law school.
During law school Melissa also worked part-time at an insurance defense firm. Over the years, Melissa learned the “ins and outs” of various Court processes, the nuances of working with different judges, and became very familiar with drafting pleadings, complex motions, discovery, and settlement agreements.
After graduating law school and being admitted to the Bar, Melissa successfully opened her own firm, The Law Office of Melissa S. Bowen in Gainesville, Georgia. Finding that she preferred a team atmosphere that allowed her to collaborate with fellow family law attorneys to better help her clients, Melissa joined Meriwether and Tharp, LLC in 2011, bringing with her almost ten years of experience in family law.
Melissa’s passion for family law stems from her innate desire to help and seek justice for others, and particularly those who are going through a difficult time in their lives. She provides competent legal guidance taking into account her client’s mental, emotional, and financial needs. Melissa is very dedicated to her cases and works diligently to ensure that her client’s needs and goals are met.
On a personal level, Melissa is active in her Church, enjoys running, and spends her free time with her family at their farm in North Georgia.
- North Georgia College and State University, Bachelor of Science in Political Science, 2007
- Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School, Juris Doctor, 2009
- State Bar of Georgia, Member (2010 through present) Family Law Section, Military/Veterans Law Section
- American Bar Association, Member (2010 through present)
- Forsyth County Bar Association, Member (2011 through present)
- Atlanta Bar Association, Member (2011 through present)
Rate : $$$$