Melissa Brill represents major professional liability, property and general liability insurers in complex insurance coverage, bad faith litigation, dram shop and products liability throughout the country. Melissa counsels and represents insurers in a wide variety of coverage disputes, including complex commercial matters, bank failures, mass toxic torts, September 11 and Hurricane losses.
Melissa renders coverage opinions and advises insurers on insurance-related matters. She also represents clients in commercial litigation and appeals. She actively supports non-profit and for-profit boards.
Melissa has served on the Board of Directors of Homesite Insurance Company of New York and non-profits: Young Leadership Counsel, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Park Slope Afterschool Center Corps (PSACC).
Melissa has been named to Cozen O’Connor’s Pro Bono Honor Roll every year for the past 12 years for her representation of pro bono clients. Her pro bono representations include enforcing women’s rights under the Violence Against Women Act, seeking asylum in the United States on behalf of unaccompanied minors and obtaining reparations for Holocaust victims.
Melissa regularly presents on various topics including Excess and Umbrella Insurance, Negotiation Strategies, Roll of Coverage Counsel, Issues Impacting Multi-National Claims Handling, Construction Defect Coverage and more.
Melissa received her Bachelor of Arts in East Asian Studies and Japanese Language from Pennsylvania State University in 1991. Melissa earned her law degree, with honors, from Temple University School of Law in 1995. After law school, she clerked for the Honorable Edward Biester of Pennsylvania.
- Temple University School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 1991
BAR ADMISSIONS : New Jersey; New York; Pennsylvania
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court — Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court — Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court — New Jersey
- U.S. District Court — Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court — Northern District of New York
- Defense Association of New York
- Defense Research Institute
- New York State Bar Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Rate : $$$