Ms. Melissa K. Eaves is a Special Counsel in the White Collar/Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Ms. Eaves currently focuses her practice in complex civil litigation, fraud, investigations white collar criminal defense and False Claims Act litigation.
She has been practicing more than 30 years and has substantial experience in TVPRA/human trafficking litigation, American with Disabilities Act and FTC litigation, compliance investigations, FAR MDR reviews and insolvency litigation. Ms. Eaves was part of the team that recently won a complete defense victory in a human trafficking case. She has also obtained complete defense verdicts in trials involving ADA claims.
She also has represented the California Insurance Commissioner in the Executive Life Insurance Company, First Capital and Mission Insurance Group insolvencies and reinsurance litigation, involving over 300 reinsurers worldwide, representing recoveries in excess of $1.3 billion. Ms. Eaves has substantial litigation experience in both state and federal courts, including the United States Supreme Court, enforcing judgments abroad, and supervision of domestic and foreign outside counsel.
- Senior member of team in TVPRA case obtaining summary judgment on all claims.
- Senior member of a trial team representing Fry’s Electronics, Inc. in a $100 million fraud action. Ms. Eaves was responsible for coordination of discovery and experts. The case settled on favorable terms shortly before trial.
- Acted as “second chair” in fraud litigation involving a multi-million dollar real estate venture which was settled favorably on the eve of trial.
- Played a senior role in a year-long False Claims Act Mandatory Disclosure Rule “LookBack” investigation for Northrop Grumman Corporation.
- Acted as “second chair” in a trial involving an insurance insolvency rehabilitation as well as a senior role in litigation seeking recovery of facultative and treaty reinsurance proceeds which yielded over $1.3 billion to the estate.
- J.D., Pepperdine University, 1985
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1982
- US District Court, Eastern District of California, 2000
- US District Court, Southern District of California, 1993
- United States Supreme Court, 1992
- US Court of Appeals, Eighth and Ninth Circuits, 1991
- US District Courts, Central and Northern Districts of California, 1991
- California, 1986
Rate : $$$$