Melissa Shirey was raised in the community of North East, Pennsylvania and completed the majority of her education in Erie County. She received her bachelor’s degree from The Pennsylvania State University, Behrend College and her Master’s degree from Gannon University.
She then attended The Ohio State University for law school and upon completion of her degree, returned to live and work in Erie County. Since completing law school, Melissa has concentrated her practice in the area of family law.
In addition to divorce, support and child custody cases, Melissa also handles adoptions, surrogacy matters and guardianships of minors. She has successfully litigated cases at both the trial court level in Pennsylvania, as well as before the Pennsylvania Superior Court. One of Melissa’s cases received national media attention and established law in Pennsylvania regarding the custody rights of a biological parent versus that of a surrogate.
- Board Member – Erie County Bar Assocation (2010 – present)
- Chair – Attorneys and Kids Together Program (2006-present)
- Co-Chair – Erie County Bar Association, Family Law Section (2010)
- Second Vice President – Erie County Bar Association (2014)
- President’s Award (2014)
- First Vice President – Erie County Bar Association (2015)
- Pennsylvania Bar Assocation Bar Leadership Institute (2011)
- The Ohio State University, Juris Doctor, with honors
- Gannon University, Master of Public Administration
- The Pennsylvania State University, Behrend College, Political Science, with honors (Schreyer Scholar)
Admissions and Professional Associations:
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- All Courts of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Erie County Bar Association
Rate : $$$