Melissa J. Lyon is a skilled litigator and transactional attorney with a particular focus on the needs of clients in the energy and natural resources sector. Staying true to her country-law roots, Melissa is distinguished by her work ethic, leadership, and her charisma, and she is consistently recognized by clients for her dedication to achieving successful resolutions.
In addition to assisting clients by preparing master service agreements and contracts concerning development, production, marketing, and transportation of crude oil and natural gas, she is an experienced litigator focusing on complex corporate and commercial litigation for oil and gas companies, including breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, piercing the corporate veil, and fraud and misrepresentation.
She also handles a wide variety of civil litigation matters, including business torts, contracts, and real estate matters. Before moving to Denver, Melissa protected the interests of Wyoming clients in the oil and gas industries.
Melissa founded the University of Wyoming Alumni Association—Denver Law Network, in an effort to build the network of Wyoming law alumni in the Denver area. She frequently volunteers for community organizations and activities, including the Arthritis Foundation’s Corporate Revenue Committee and Colorado’s 2016 Walk to Cure Arthritis, and she is a proud contributor to the Salt Creek Energy Excellence Scholarship for the University of Wyoming College of Law, benefitting students who seek to pursue legal careers in the energy industry.
- Negotiation of purchase and sale agreements for oil and gas operators and non-operators, as well as loan documents and energy financing, master service agreements, independent contractor agreements, and other agreements relating to exploration and development
- Merger and acquisition negotiations and asset sales and divestitures of producing and non-producing assets for oil and gas operators and non-operators
- Significant litigation experience including breach of complex oil and gas contract cases involving securities issues, royalty litigation, fraud/negligent misrepresentation matters, and construction defect litigation
- Negotiating and drafting complex oil and gas agreements, including credit agreements and loan documents, surface use agreements, and pipeline rights-of-way
- Regulatory research and transaction matters for a wastewater disposal and injection company
- J.D. University of Wyoming
- B.A. University of Wyoming
- Colorado Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association
- University of Wyoming College of Law, Denver Law Network Founder
- Nominated for the Denver Business Journal’s Outstanding Women in Business Awards (2015)
- Nominated for the Denver Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” (2015 and 2016)
- Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association
- Co-host of Virtual Food Drive to Benefit Wyoming Coal Miners, Wyoming Food Bank of the Rockies, 2016
- Chair, Downtown Laramie Business Association, Boots, Brushes & Bourbon, 2010-2012
Rate : $$$