Melissa O. Martinez’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, business torts, contractual disputes, and intellectual property litigation. She has experience in trial and appellate matters in both federal and state courts. She has handled consumer litigation cases involving TILA, RESPA, FDCPA, FCRA, and state consumer litigation statutes.
She also specializes in complex patent litigation involving consumer electronics, computer systems, GPS, and wireless technology. She has practiced in patent hot spots, including the Eastern District of Texas, the Eastern District of Virginia, the District of Delaware, and the International Trade Commission.
Before entering private practice, Melissa was a judicial intern and law clerk to the Honorable Andre M. Davis in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (2007, 2008-2009) and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (2009-2010). Melissa was also a Fulbright Fellow (2004-2005) in the Philippines researching the effects of patents on Filipino pharmaceuticals and healthcare.
While attending law school at the University of Maryland, Melissa received the William P. Cunningham Award for Exception Achievement and Service and the Litigation and Advocacy Award. As an undergraduate, she was a member of Delta Epsilon Sigma, Kappa Mu Epsilon and Sigma Pi Sigma.
Melissa served as President of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Maryland in 2015-2016. She has previously served as Chairperson of the Community Service Committee.
- Representation of major financial institution against law firm that fell victim to phishing scheme perpetrated by third party fraudster.
- Representation of Class I railroad as plaintiff in recovery action against commercial truck driver arising from grade crossing collision and ensuing derailment.
- Served on appellate team that successfully represented multinational oil and gas company in its appeals of more than $1.5 billion in verdicts rendered by juries in two cases stemming from an underground gasoline leak.
- Representation of major telecommunications company in patent infringement lawsuits.
- Representation of banking and lending institutions in various litigation matters ranging from allegations of fraud, violations of the Uniform Commercial Code, and violations of consumer protection and debt collection statutes.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, JD, 2008
- Notre Dame of Maryland University, BA, Physics, summa cum laude, Dean’s List, 2004
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Board Member, The Francis D. Murnaghan, Jr. Appellate Advocacy Fellowship
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- National Filipino American Lawyers Association
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Maryland
Rate : $$$