Melissa S. Rones counsels life sciences clients on a wide range of intellectual property issues, including patent portfolio strategy and life cycle management, licensing and monetization strategy, and the risks associated with third party intellectual property.
She also performs due diligence investigations and advises clients on strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities to mitigate risk and remedy issues related to intellectual property in the context of a range of transactions, including private financings and capital markets transactions, license agreements, collaborations, joint ventures, and mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to joining the firm, Melissa completed a Ph.D. in cell and developmental biology from Harvard University. Her graduate work focused on examining signaling events involved during the patterning of tissues to generate complex organs and helped define specific roles for Notch signaling in both cardiogenesis and nephrogenesis.
- JD, magna cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2006
- PhD (Cell and Developmental Biology), Harvard Medical School, 2001
- BS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1995
- Massachusetts, 2006
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2003
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS :
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Boston Patent Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Society for Developmental Biology
- Represented Canadian Pension Plan Investment Boardin its purchase of a royalty interest for venetoclax, a cancer treatment drug, from Australia’s Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research (the Institute).
- Represents a publicly traded biotechnology company in connection with their acquisition activities. Helped our client evaluate the patent portfolios for two target companies, identify potential issues, and develop appropriate remediation strategies.
- Represents a public biotechnology company for over 10 years on a variety of intellectual property matters. During that period, drafted and prosecuted a broad patent portfolio in the U.S. and around the world and coordinated activities with collaboration partners.
- Performed IP due diligence for a venture capital firm in connection with an investment in a nucleic acid instrumentation company.
- Performed IP due diligence for a syndicate of venture capital firms in connection with an investment in a protein therapeutics company.
- Represented a medical device client in an ex parte reexamination and obtained claims that preserved coverage for their primary product.
Rate : $$$