Melissa S. Watkins concentrates her practice in the areas of taxation, business and commercial planning, nonprofit tax issues, and other areas related to the establishment, governance, and operation of nonprofit organizations. Prior to practicing law, she spent nine years in higher education finance and accounting. She is also a licensed certified public accountant.
- Advises tax exempt organizations on the tax implications of their day-to-day activities and provides guidance on charitable fundraising, structuring charitable gifts, endowment administration, and corporate governance. She also counsels tax-exempt organizations on compliance and regulatory matters.
- Conducts business planning for a wide variety of tax-exempt and nonprofit organizations, including complex structures such as mergers and joint ventures between for-profit and nonprofit organizations
- Represents taxpayers including individuals and nonprofit organizations before the Internal Revenue Service and the West Virginia State Tax Department
- Prepares and administers nonqualified deferred compensation plans under Sections 409A and 457(f) for nonprofit organizations
- J.D. West Virginia University
- M.P.A. West Virginia University
- B.S. Fairmont State University
- Former Adjunct Lecturer, College of Business & Economics, West Virginia University
- Young Lawyer of the Year, West Virginia State Bar 2009
- Member, Joint Public Policy Committee for Philanthropy West Virginia/The West Virginia Nonprofit Association
- Leader, Special Needs Adult Sunday School Class, Suncrest United Methodist Church
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) for abused and neglected children
- Board of Directors, Bioscience Association of West Virginia
Rate : $$$