Meng Ru has represented some of the most sophisticated financial institutions and their portfolio companies in domestic and international debt financings. These transactions are principally in connection with leveraged buyouts, including first lien and second lien senior secured debt financings, bridge financings and private mezzanine debt financings. She has worked on dozens of large financing deals with top-tier financial sponsors around the world.Meng advises institutional investors and corporate clients in restructuring the balance sheets of overleveraged companies, including debt workouts and debt exchanges. She represents debtors and creditors in a range of financings, including rescue, debtor-in-possession (DIP) and exit. Meng also has a deep familiarity with the distressed debt market, and she offers practical advice to see transactions through to fruition. Additionally, she advises investors in their distressed investing activities.
- Helps clients optimize the value of their investments in distressed debt securities.
- Focuses on complex finance transactions.
- Advises clients in restructuring balance sheets of overleveraged companies.
- For an ad hoc group led by two of the largest private investment firms in the world, assisted with the provision of a replacement DIP financing in a very short time frame to bridge the closing of a Section 363 credit by clients. The replacement DIP financing was closed, and the client successfully bid the business and became its owner.
- Served as counsel to the world’s largest independent maker of memory products in its investments in the nonconvertible preferred stock in the consortium led by one of the world’s largest multiasset alternative investment firms in connection with its $18 billion acquisition of a Japanese multinational’s memory chip business. Reviewed and negotiated the acquisition finance terms by the consortium and negotiated the terms of the intercreditor agreement and financing-related terms in nonconvertible preferred stock. Also assisted in negotiating the borrowings by the client to finance the investments.
- Advised a life science-centric investment fund in a pharmaceutical royalty, milestone payment monetization financing. Since the fund was not structured for financing, it required significant creative legal work to address the lender’s concern related to an unprecedented payment sweep and Swiss corporate law-related matters.
- Counseled an ad hoc group of holders of the prepetition secured notes issued by a large manufacturing interest to restructure the company and provided various financings (including DIP and exit) to facilitate the restructuring. The deal was challenging because of an asset-based lending (ABL) facility that shared the collateral that secured the clients’ prepetition secured notes. The transaction involved extensive negotiation with the ABL lenders relating to the rollover of the prepetition ABL into our DIP and allocation of the sale proceeds.
- Assisted an ad hoc group of holders of the prepetition convertible notes issued by an energy exploration company in restructuring the company and provided various financings (including DIP and exit) to facilitate the restructuring. The deal required extensive negotiation with a prepetition second lien class, which tried to control the restructuring process. Eventually reached agreement with the second lien to provide the DIP and exit financings together so that the restructuring deal could be completed.
- Co-founder and director, Chinese Business Lawyers Association.
- LL.M., University of Virginia School of Law, 2004
- LL.B., Fudan University Law School, China, 2000
- New York
Rate : $$$