Meredith-Anne Berger is an associate in the Labor and Employment group in Seyfarth Shaw’s New York office. Ms. Berger is an innovative litigator whose practice focuses on complex employment litigation, defending management against claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation under federal, state, and city laws, single plaintiff and class and collective action claims brought under wage and hour laws.
Ms. Berger represents employers in state and federal courts in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut, as well as federal and state agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, New York State Division of Human Rights and New York City Human Rights Commission. Ms. Berger represents clients in many industries, including banking and finance, retail, energy, telecommunications, and higher education.
Ms. Berger counsels and advises clients on new developments in the law, tracking the development of laws from proposed legislation through enforcement. Ms. Berger also counsels employers on preventative practices to minimize workplace disputes, including advising employers on issues relating to personnel handbooks and policies, and conducts investigations in response to internal complaints.
In particular, Ms. Berger has experience advising clients on compliance with payroll debit card laws and other wage and hour laws, workplace privacy issues, and leave laws. Ms. Berger has co-authored articles in Law360 and is a frequent contributor to Seyfarth’s blogs and firm publications. Ms. Berger was elected to the Theodore Roosevelt Inn of Court in 2014. Ms. Berger is a panelist and presenter at firm sponsored-events and legal associations, including the Inn of Court and the New York State Bar Association.
Ms. Berger joined the firm initially as part of the Labor & Employment Department’s Fellowship program, an innovative training-focused program for law students with an affinity for labor and employment law. While earning her JD/MBA, Ms. Berger served as Editor-in-Chief of the Hofstra Labor & Employment Law Journal and as an intern to the Honorable Joanna Seybert, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of New York.
- J.D., Hofstra University School of Law, cum laude (2014)
- Editor-in-Chief, Hofstra Labor and Employment Law Journal, Dean’s List, Certificate of Excellence in Contracts, Business Law Honors Concentration
- M.B.A., Hofstra University, with distinction (2014)
- B.A., Barnard College, Columbia University, Departmental Honors (2011)
- New York State Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section Executive Committee, District Representative (2017-2018)
- New York City Bar Association (Labor & Employment Law Committee, Student Member (2014-2015); Past Member, New Lawyer Council))
- ASAFE/NYC Bar Association Securities, Finance Law and Business Seminar Series (2014)
Rate : $$$